Thursday, February 19, 2009

Today's Highway-Robbery Reminder

I know I live in the most expensive place around to go to the movies. I know the Regal Cinemas seem to be especially pricey, even having the nerve to charge more for flicks on Fridays and Saturdays. Unlike the AMC chain, Regal doesn't offer a delightful $6-before-noon special on weekends. Still, I don't think I realized how absurd New York prices are until just now, as I was editing Regal Entertainment's earnings in my real-world job.

Please see the chart below. Note the bolded section:
Operating Data Quarter Ended
Jan. 1, Dec. 27
2009 2007
Theatres at period end 552 527
Screens at period end 6,801 6,388
Average screens 12.3 12.1
per theatre
Attendance 61,756 53,320
(in thousands)
Average ticket price $ 7.75 $ 7.58
Average concessions $ 3.13 $ 2.97
per patron

Excuse me: The average ticket price across Regal is $7.75? What??? In New York City, it costs almost $13 for a regular ticket! Where is it significantly less than $13 to give us this $7.75 average? And the average concession per patron is $3.13? I'm not kidding: I'm not even sure I can find anything for less than $3.13 at the Battery Park or Times Square concession stands!

Back to work and mulling a Slumdog Millionaire review ...

No comments: